Do you need a premises License?

According to regulations provided for Licensing and Controlling Places of Public Amusement (1980), premises can be defined as any place which is employed or aimed to employ as an arena for amusement of public or the place other than theatres where theatrical, mimetic, dramatic, dancing and musical or any other performances targeting amusement or games or stages or diversion are held. Amusement for public includes any events that belong to the category of mimetics, dance, song or drama held with or without prior fee and where entry is applicable only to members of concerned institution. As per Regulation 107, the place is opened for public amusement only if the person being tenant, owner or occupier. If not, one needs to obtain a Premises License.

Do you wish to open a new auditorium?

Step 1:

Obtaining N.O.C for Construction

If a person wish to construct a tent or building or any other temporary construct with the aim of using it for the purpose of public amusement or a theatre or using or converting the already existing place for the above said purpose, then he should submit a written application to Licensing Authority for obtaining ‘NO OBJECTION CERTIFICATE’ with proper information regarding the use of the place as temporary or permanent amusement destination. The application should be on a plain paper together with 4 copies of blue print plan of the proposed arena with clear indication of width of doorways, gangways, corridors, staircases, complete details of electric installations, total available seats, adjoining buildings and roads that lie within the distance of 60 metres of target site. Presence of electric lines/high tension cables, petrol pump, worship or places or hospitals or schools should also be indicated.

  • Ownership proof should also be submitted along with application form.
  • There should be a public notice on the proposed site indicating the intention of the action and is clearly visible to all public crossing the area. The message can be in either Hindi or English or their local language. The size of the notice board should be 120 X 90 cms and letters should be clear, bold and legible. It should be hanged till the time, the application is processed by Licensing Authority.
  • Before finalizing the decision, Licensing Authority may consult Communication Department Officer and Officer Executive Engineer of concerned building in regard of clarification.
  • Once they scrutinize the application, they may deliver no objection certificate for the proposed site under the rules of Regulation 3.
  • The no objection certificate is valid only for 2 years from date of issue if the proposed site is for permanent amusement destination and 6 months valid if it is for temporary purpose.
  • If there is any discretion related to No objection certificate, it is dealt by Licensing Authority only.

Step 2:

Obtaining Building Permission

No one is allowed to convert or built or construct any building for permanent usage without prior permission from Licensing Authority.

Procedure for obtaining permission

  • Application form should be submitted together with no objection certificate from Licensing Authority.
  • Form should be accompanied by complete information regarding the elevations and sections of target site. Plan should contain cardinal points. It should be colored enough to differentiate the substances planned to deploy for constructing erections and buildings. Details of width of gangway doors, staircases, height of galleries, tiers together with information of electrical installation should be mentioned. There should be details of structural dimension, total capacity of the space, ventilation etc. Plan is suppose to be prepared by recognized architect or any qualified engineer and should accompany his signature certificate giving evidence for stable and sound design.
  • The plan will then get forwarded to Executive Engineer for approval, in which it may be subjected for any addition or alteration by Executive Engineer before final approval.
  • Licensing Authority then provide final no objection certificate which is valid for 2 years from the date of issue or may come with extended time from licensing authority.
  • There should not be any alteration or addition to the plan can be done without prior permission from Licensing Authority and Executive Engineer.
  • Licensing Authority got the right to refuse the license, if the building is not according to the approved plan and specification.

Step 3:

Obtaining Premises License

Premises License application should possess the following:

  • Nature and interest of applicant in proposed space.
  • The Manager(s) name(s) who are nominated by Licensee.
  • Name(s) and correspondence addresses of electricians who is in charge of electrical installation.
  • Original copy of no objection certificate.
  • Executive Engineer’s report containing the details of the sound effect, total available seats and accommodation details.
  • Electrical Inspector’s NOC regarding the electrical installation details as per the rules of Electrical Act and specified regulations.
  • Municipal Health Officer’s NOC from the point of health.
  • Fire Department’s NOC containing details of safe escape.
  • Local Police NOC from the point of Law and Order.
  • Traffic/ DCP NOC from the point of traffic maintenance.
  • Antecedent and Character verification of representative/licensee of Auditorium.
  • After receiving the application together with all NOC, the Licensing Authority may grant permission, if all the terms and conditions are met accordingly. They got the rights to refuse if there appears to be any inconvenience, obstruction, danger, risk or damage to passersby or residents in the close premises.


Premises License renewal should be applied to Licensing Authority not late than 1 year after expiry date of previous license, accompanied by following documents:

  • Fire Department NOC
  • Electrical Department NOC
  • Health department NOC
  • Building department NOC

Do you think Delhi is the most developing Capital in the world?